Sunday, June 26, 2005

Angel Stadium and Petco Park


Last night I couldn't post because the hotel's logon screen didn't come up. If I was Mark Miller, I probably could have gotten around that, but since I am not him, then I had to wait for today to post.

So the Angels game was the worst game we have been to so far when it comes to the fans. The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim played the Los Angeles Dodgers, an inter-league game, so the crowd was filled with both Angels fans and Dodgers fans. The people behind us started drinking and cussing right off the bat (no pun intended) and yelling at every Dodger fan they saw. A couple of sections over, one guy threw beer on another guy who was 20 rows in front of him. He got cuffed and thrown out. We were in the cheap seats, so that might have had something to do with the rowdiness.

The stadium was pretty nice, though, with a cool entrance into it. If you look at the picture, you can see two giant helmets that welcome you to the field. Those helmets were ginormous.

The weather was nice, although colder than I thought for a Southern California game. I had to wear a wind breaker and long sleeves for the game.

Petco Park




By far the nicest stadium we have been to is Petco Park where we saw the Padres play the Mariners today, Sunday the 26th. It is a sweet facility with lots of open air walkways, lots of food choices, a grassy knoll behind the outfield bleachers to sit and watch, an old factory warehouse in left field, and nice box seats for the really rich people. San Diego is only an hour and a half or so away from Anaheim, so we got here in plenty of time.

I got there early enough to try and catch some batting practice balls. Twice I had a ball in my mitt, but some kid had his hat there also and another kid caught it right as it went into my glove. Oh well, it feels pretty cool to watch the ball come sailing your way. The Mariners were playing the Padres, so it was cool to see the home team on the road. Sexson and Beltre were belting the balls out in BP.

The Mariners lost 5-4, but it was a very good game with lots of highlight reel worthy material. Our seats, however, were on field level, but far enough back where we were in the shade from the bleachers above us. The wind was blowing in on us, so that made sitting in our seats like sitting in 50 degree weather. It was cold. All I had were shorts and a t-shirt, so I got up and went to the sunny outfield where you could lay on the grass and watch the game from the big jumbo tron they had on the back of the tall score board. That was a cool place for kids to run around, for parents to play catch with them, and to just lounge out in the sun.

No comments: