Monday, March 09, 2009

A day in the life

This past fall I realized that I need lots of structure in my life.  Some people are go-with-the-flow people and some need routine, and I knew I was a structured person before, but I didn't realize that I was so structured that I just didn't do well without a routine.  The other Saturday Jeff was gone to a workshop and I didn't have anything on the calendar.  I went crazy because I didn't have anything planned for the day.  Not that I don't have things I could be doing--I do, but some of them are hard to do with Micah.  It took me a while before I realized that my job for the day was to be mom, buddy, train friend, park pal with Micah.  Duh.  

Also, I've noticed when I meet new people recently and we talk about "what we do," i.e. "work"  and people ask me if I work, I have a hard time answering that question.  I can't say I babysit kids, because  I only do it 2 afternoons a week.  I can't really say I'm a teacher, although I am, because I only have 4 students, 2 afternoons a week.  I can't really say I'm a "stay-at-home" mom, because Micah and I are rarely home.  

September began our schedule that we have going on right now.  Not that you're interested, but maybe you are curious as to what a day in the life looks like.  This is what Micah and I do every day.

Mondays:  
9 am: Micah plays with Caleb and is watched by his dad, our friend Thad.  I go to Trader Joe's, Haggen's, and either run other errands or go back home and prepare for my biology class.  
noon:  I pick up Micah and we have lunch at home.  He does not take a nap on Mondays.
3-5:30pm: We watch and play with Bjorn.
6 pm: dinner
7 -9 pm:  I go to BSF.  Jeff either goes to Band or stays home (every other week).  Every other week, Melina comes to watch Micah and put him to bed.

Tuesdays
10-11 am:  Micah and I meet with Kim, Madeline, and Lydia and go to Library Story Time
12:30-2:30: Biology class for my 4 awesome students.  Lori (another Micah crush) puts Micah down for his nap.
5-7 pm:  We help serve the "Loaves and Fishes" meal for homeless at our church.  Micah either greets everyone with Jeff or rides in my backpack and helps me in the kitchen.

Wednesday: 
10-12 am:  Mom's group through FBC at Adriele's house.  Kids are watched in another room by some terrific ladies and the moms pray for each other and go through a parenting book.  
noon: lunch, but another no nap day.
3-5:30 pm: play with/ watch buddy Bjorn
6 pm: dinner
7 pm:  Jeff has a meeting every other Wednesday at church.

Thursday: 
10-11:30 am:  Playgroup with some friends who all have kids the same age.
12:30-2:30:  Biology class
4:45: dinner
5:30-7: choir practice at church (then we take Micah to get Gelato!)

Friday:
 9-noon:  we play with/watch Caleb to swap for Monday mornings
noon-3ish: lunch and Micah's nap
afternoons:  we get together with the Terrys: Kimberlee and "ZacHannah"

Saturday:
4-ish:  Birth class playgroup

Sunday:
9:30: Worship team practice
10:30:  Church

I think I've backed myself into a corner in that because we do all these regular things, it's difficult to process or handle other things that come up, like birthday parties, packing to move, signing closing papers, fixing toilets, decorating for brunches, having dinner with friends, laundry, dishes, or getting sick.  I think it will let up for the summer.  
It does make me appreciate the special little spontaneous moments with Micah, when they happen, like pressing out pizza dough or skyping in the cabinet!  

2 comments:

Dave, Kristen, Katelyn, Anna, and Ben McCurdy said...

Love that structure! I'm the same way! And way to go on the truck rescue too!! Y'all are awesome!

Heather W. said...

Bethany, I think you can still say that you're a teacher, because that's one of your spiritual gifts. Although the situation is very different, Paul's mom is often asked what she's doing right now and has had difficulty answering, until someone told her recently that she can say "I'm a teacher, but I'm not teaching right now."

Not only are you a teacher, but you are teaching right now, because you're teaching Micah so many awesome things about life. Don't let our culture's views about mothers get you down! You have at least three full-time jobs.