Don Miller came to Bellingham this past week to do a book reading on the campus of the college here. It was definitely not what most people were expecting. Usually when you get a Christian speaker to speak at college, he or she talks about their version of how to do Christianity better than what you are doing now. Miller gets up and says, "I was just talking to the sound girl before I came up and told her "Christians are goofy, huh?"
At the same time, you could sense the Christian undertones throughout what he was reading. he also later clarified that he felt Christianity is the most beautiful, mysterious thing you could be a part of that makes the most sense of what it means to be human. It gives the best picture of how to do humanity.
I liked it because it was subversive, artistic God-talk.
One interesting note as I was talking with Don backstage - his former youth minister was David Gentiles. He had been in Houston with Don and then moved up to Plano to be at Hunter's Glen Baptist Church where one of my high school friends went. David was then person who put the writing bug in Don's ear.
1 comment:
REVEREND Jefe (jaja)- this is Rachael leaving you a comment because you might get an automatic request from live journal saying that 'sarelithaura' (kinda sounds like a dinosaur or something I guess, doesn't it...) wants to join the fbcollege group, and I do, and it's me, so let me in or I won't come to church any more...just kidding, of course. Anyway I thought it would be fun to read what people say on there so I have a site and that's my user name but it's a really dumb site and doesn't say anything interesting yet so don't go there- I just want to spy on people =D. See you later.
Post a Comment