A couple of weeks ago I tossed around in my head the idea of donating my hair but thought it wasn't long enough. When I did measure it, though, and it was enough, I felt like I really should, like it was a gift that could help others like Weezie and Jordan who might need a wig someday. My hair was donated to Locks of Love, who makes wigs for children. Jordan didn't get a wig because she's four and would just think it was itchy, but there are other children in her situation who will need one. I was going to donate to another organization that makes wigs for women with breast cancer, but their requirements were more strict and they wouldn't have accepted my hair. (too gray!)
My dear friend Kristen's mom, Anita, is also now a member of the breast cancer club, and it's been bittersweet but special to have this in common and go through it together. Kristen and I have loved hearing how our moms have been calling each other and sharing experiences.
At least Jeff likes it, or says he does. His is the only opinion that matters. He's assured me that I do not look like a lesbian, but more like a middle aged mom--which I realized today that I am.
I now have a small idea of how an amputee feels. I am experiencing phantom feelings from "what used to be there." The muscle memory in my hands still tries to grab the ponytail back there. My towel turban falls off. The hairclip I won't need anymore is still on my nightstand and the rubber band I won't need is still on my wrist. For the record, I am a long-hair person. I've had short hair before, but at least some part of my hair was to or below my chin. This is actually shorter than I expected it would be. Tomorrow, I'll be going to get some Mane 'n' Tail shampoo and prenatal vitamins to make my hair grow faster. But was it worth it? Absolutely. I feel a commercial coming on.
Haircut: $13.99 + tip
Product for short hair: $16.75
Helping a kid feel better about themselves after chemo: priceless
At the salon, Micah kept pointing to the floor and saying, "Mommy's hair!" Then as we were getting ready for bed, he informed me, "Mommy's hair all gone."
So, Mom, Jordan, and Anita, here's to good hair days no matter how much hair you have!
Visit our Flickr page (click on the pictures at the right of this page) to see more pics and video.
7 comments:
I would like to be the first to comment that I love your hair!! I think it looks very good short! Maybe you should keep it :D I love short hair, but am in desperate need of a cut! Short is the best... although can be a pain to take care of and style.... I still don't know what I am doing hehe.. What product did they reccomend you use?
Becca D
and I would like to be the second to comment that I LOVE IT TOO!! It looks great on you! How many inches does Locks of Love require? I'm gonna get to growin'! I hope my mom ends up with your hair because it always looks so good!
Way to take one for the team; we sure are thankful to have you as part of the family! Prenatal vitamins, here I come...
Bethany you are B-E-A-UTIFUL!! I love the hair and I love the reason and story behind it all! You're amazing!! <3
Thanks Bethany! Your hair looks great. One of these days you'll go to the "shower and go" hair like mine where you just have to fluff it with your fingers in the morning and a few times a day.
I've actually always wanted to shave my head, and have worn wigs off and on throughout my adult life so wearing one again won't be a problem.
Your mom is awesome! The joy and grace she displays has been very encouraging for me as I approach treatment time.
Anita Bradberry
Bethany, You look beautiful! You are no matter what, but this hair style is really cute on you. I love that you did this in honor of all the "ladies" in your life who are or were dealing with cancer. My Dad was just diagnosed in December, and I just don't think I could do that! You are so brave.. Take care
Bethany, I'm sorry I didn't see this until now because I noticed you had very short hair last Sunday and I wondered why, well now I know why. You have a darling face and the shorter do is very becoming on you. My hair grows like a weed so maybe I'll do that this summer too. Like you I have always had my hair long (having a Grandma who called me "Spun Gold" sure didn't help) and I remember when I had my hair cut short a few summers ago I went through the Phantom-Limb phase-where's my hair? I felt like I had a living football-helmet on. Think of all the money you will save on shampoo and clips! Sunny Inge
Post a Comment