Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Life and Its Happenings

My mom and dad are up for a visit this week. We have enjoyed eating together and just talking about all the stuff of life we have missed sharing in person over the past few months. The weather has been absolutely perfect for them here, so they went out to Friday Harbor for a ferry ride, walking, and some lunch. Mom went crazy and brought us some baby clothes for child-who-has-yet-to-be-named. It was pretty fun and our kid is going to be pretty stylin'.

I preached on Sunday on the Christian hymn in Philippians 2:5-11. It practically preaches itself, so it was pretty fun to talk about it. It was titled "What's in a name?" and I joked about B and I being in the "what are you going to name your baby" phase of questions that pregnant couples go through. I joked that I was going for the name Buford, but B (and Mom!) wouldn't go for it. Afterwards, everyone was calling our kid Buford! What have I done!

I got some positive comments on the sermon, so that's nice. I am always looking to improve, though, so we'll see how it sounds to my ear when I hear it back... Plus, it's easier when you're doing one or two-shot sermons here and there. The part I like the most is seeing what the Spirit does with the work you've put into birthing a sermon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could always name him Voldemort and refer to him as "He-who-must-not-be-named." That might be interesting! -Kari

Anonymous said...

I DEFINITELY like Kari's idea.

Better yet, make "He-who-must-not-be-named" his middle name! And then you could refer to him as that and when people ask you can just say, "oh, that's his middle name".

You should be sure to do the sermon on November 5th because I'll be up visiting that weekend for some SCD stuff. :-)

Anonymous said...

I find it interesting that your commentators are discussing the name of your son - Charles Benjamin - issue more than the sermon issue! You need to let Steve give you a month of Sundays or even a quarter to really give you a chance to stretch your homiletical skills. Of course, it is my studied opinion that the at times the Levite has a more prophetic role than the priest / pastor.

Anonymous said...

Great sermon. Heard several comments that you should be the next senior pastor! I agree