Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Disney Day Four: Animal Kingdom

When we woke up the kids all seemed fine, so we met up at Animal Kingdom at 9:30. We have these awesome cheetah print Mickey shirts that again, amazing Daniela made. We actually got quite a few compliments on them from people around the park! I never would have imagined what a difference it makes to all be wearing the same shirt. Other people don't try to come between our group in line and it's easy to spot everyone as we make our way through the crowds. That and our kids are stinkin' adorable in matching white with green and pink leopard Mickey logos. Today Jordan got some fuzzy pink leopard Mickey ears to go with her shirt. Don't worry, there's pictures.

We started the day off on a safari seeing elephants, giraffes, lions, hippos, crocodiles, antelopes, flamingos and more. Then we met Safari Mickey, Safari Minney, Safari Goofy, Safari Donald, Chip & Dale, Pooh, Tigger, & Eeyore. Next was a nice, cool, dark, air-conditioned place that happened to have the Lion King show. Did I mention it had air conditioning? Of course, we were there for the show, why would you think otherwise?? Really, the show was pretty amazing with elaborate costumes, music, huge animated Lion King characters (Simba, Pumba, Timon, and an elephant), fire throwing & breathing, ballet, and high-flying acrobatics. Kids from the audience came out and shook shakers for the final number, Circle of Life, of course. It was very nice because the whole thing was air conditioned. :)

We then had a great lunch (despite Micah's mild tantrum) complete with ducks running around scavenging. After some more penny machines, Jadyn fell asleep in a store and Micah grew more restless. Then, we found a playground made to look like an excavation site in progress and a dinosaur dig, where kids could dig in sand to uncover a mammoth. Micah wasn't into it and was just too hot. Jordan was a trouper and totally into the playground.

Since I was tired of dealing with Micah, Gramma, Grampa, Jeff, Micah & I came back to the hotel while the J's are still at the park, I presume. They wanted to stay for a parade, so we'll just see pictures of it. Micah fell asleep in the stroller on the way to the tram and slept through the tram, the walk to the car, the car ride to the hotel, then woke up when we got here. After we got back to the hotel, a Florida thunderstorm rolled in and we watched it rain while trying to coax him back to sleep. He's finally sleeping again, hopefully for a while.

It was a crazy day with him, but I actually think this park was my favorite. It's more shaded and treesy, and made to look more natural. And when is it ever not amazing to see all those animals?

Several weeks before we came, my excitement about this trip grew and grew until I didn't think I could wait much longer. I couldn't wait to see Jordan experience so many of her favorite things, spend time with the whole family, and watch the cousins play together. About a week before the trip, the reality of traveling with Micah (and two other preschoolers for that matter) began to set in and I started becoming nervous about how Micah would be in hotter weather, taking no naps, spending so much time on a plane, staying up and out late, sleeping in an unfamiliar place, eating out for every meal, and totally overstimulated from the parks. I knew this would not be a relaxing, restful vacation. Our first day, Micah exceeded my expectations and was a gem. On our second day, his temperament (and mine) was completely worse than what I expected, but he was great through dinner and in the evening. Yesterday, he actually slept 2.5 hours in a different place and was great for Gramma, so I was pleasantly surprised. Today, however, was completely opposite and he was bordering on ridiculous. Toddler traveling at its finest. I hope he is at least decent tomorrow. Tomorrow is Jordan's big day. She gets her hair done at the "Bibbity Bobbity Boutique" before dressing up like Cinderella to have lunch with her in her castle! We're so blessed to be along for the ride!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

travels with a toddler, let alone three of them,I can't even fathom it. Wait until Micah is about 10 years old 'til you take him again. He'll be young enough to still be a kid, but old enough to reason with. Mom and I were just in D-World for my 40th B'day so I know what all the attention from the cast is like _I wore a big pin that said happy Birthday Sunny and complete strangers would come up to me and wish me Happy Birthday-a little startling at first but you get used to it. What hotel are you at? We stayed at the Doubletree- practically across the street from Downtown Disney (love the crab restaurant there) and they give you a warm ch.chip cookie every night before bed. Went on every mode of transportation available but I liked the 'ferry-ride' leaving Magic Kingdom best-it was near closing time and the fireworks are/were spectacular. I recall the Bibbity Bobbity Boutique, had mt Birthday dinner there at the Floridian and wathgched several giggly little girls get all decked out in their finery. My favorite place to go was EPCOT (unofficial acronym for Every Person Comes Out Tired). We had lunch at Animal Kingdom and I think everyone (kid or adult ) has some sort of a melt down there,(mom dropped a milkshake and left a horrible mess as I was cracking up) sort of like eating in the middle of Pike Place Market. At least at the Disney parks you don't have to worry about the kids having a fit, everyone there has some sympathy for the poor travel weary parent/child combo. ta ta and have fun, Sunny

Ami and Jeff said...

What a great trip you guys are having!

It was so good to see you and visit with you in TX! Thanks for the blog comment after our TX trip and for connecting us in the blog world. I've really enjoyed seeing your photos and will love watching Micah grow up! He is such a cutie!

Blankenburgs said...

I am soooooo jealous of you all being in Florida right now!! In fact my mom and I were just saying that we are going to start planning our trip back to Disney World for next year!!!
Any way...wasn't Animal Kingdom just great. We totally loved the Safari Ride the best. I did forget to ask you all where you were staying? Traveling....can't really complain too much about it since I didn't have any troubles with Daniel. He is actually a great traveler. He has been to Florida two times since he was born. (sorry I am not much help with suggestions for that!)The heat sure doesn't help out much either. It's hard for sure when they are in different places and their routine gets thrown off. No worries he will snap right back into it! Just try your best to enjoy the rest of your vacation and remember.....Micah will feed off you and what you are feeling so just do your best and God will take care of the rest! I will be thinking of you guys tomorrow when you are all having fun and embrasing the wonderful moment of your niece having her dreams come true!!!! She is an amazing little girl and I admire her for her true strength and determination.

Dave, Kristen, Katelyn, Anna, and Ben McCurdy said...

Hope Micah is feeling better!