Monday, January 07, 2008

The New Year!

Welcome to 2008. I have not so much entered gracefully into 2008 as 2008 has come full barrel into me. We began this year with a tragedy in our church family. One of our newest attenders was stabbed and killed by his son. In reality, it's more like the mental illness affecting his son is the perpetrator. We had an amazing Spirit-filled worship service this past week where we could gather around the grieving family and support them. We prayed for them, we loved them, we were simply present with them. It was a ministry moment that I am glad we didn't miss.

I never thought that my pastorate would begin like this, but the Spirit has sustained me personally, and I know that He is sustaining the family as well. The most amazing part of it is their faith. They knew the risk of having a son who was diagnosed with schizophrenia live at their house, rather than some institution. They knew the risk and took it anyway. They chose to fight the battle together with their son. The Father's heart is seen most clearly in people like that. "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."

Reflect on your relationships and cherish the moments. Don't waste undue energy on things that don't matter in the long run. And make sure to tell those you love that you love them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jeff! That is a succinct and well-done post. I am also considering those "things that don't matter in the long run" and realizing how precious life is right now. It is sad that Mark is gone, but I know that God will use his passing for miracles.