Friday, April 07, 2006

Systematic Theology B

I want to give you a look at what our final will be for this class. The final will consist of three of the following seven propositions. The test will have five that we will choose three from.

Respond to the following propositions in the following way:
1. Rephrase them to make sure you understand them. (i.e. make sure the prof knows I understand them!)

2. Indicate what about them you can affirm: what is at least partly accurate, well-phrased, comprehensive, significant and helpful.

3. Indicate what about them you cannot affirm: what is at least partly inaccurate, badly-phrased, truncated, trivial and unhelpful.

4. Conclude briefly with your overall evaluation of them.

Here are the propositions:

What really matters is the soul. The body is a trap, a burden, to be laid aside int he resurrection. So let's concentrate on saving souls.

All of earth's creatures are holy, and none are more important than any others. So we human beings shouldn't hunt or fish or eat meat.

Jesus was truly a holy man and the Son of God. But other religions have their founders, too, and Christians shouldn't insist that Jesus is better than the founders of other faiths.

Jesus was a wise teacher and an exemplary human being. Christianity has built him up into a god, even though he never claimed to be one.

Christianity has offered "pie in the sky by and by." But what really matters is the here and now, and Christianity isn't very helpful in solving immediate human problems.

If God has chosen me for salvation, then I'm in. And if he hasn't, then I'm not. So it doesn't really matter how I live, since it's God's decision, not mine.

Salvation is fundamentally about forgiveness of sins, and that's what Jesus won for us on the cross.

---
My study group has divided these up and I have the last one about salvation. I will probably address the two phrases separately - asking what is salvation really all about and then asking what did Jesus really achieve on the cross?

Want to join my class?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i am interested to hear your answers to these propositions sometime . . .

However, a question for you - see Colossians 2:8 . . .regarding excercises such as this final, do you find it hard sometimes to distinguish between "solidifying" your faith and beliefs in answering/researching these propositions versus being captivated by the "philosophical" aspect?

In other words, do you get a kick out of answering stuff like this or do you get your kicks out of going back to the cross where your salvation was bought?! Ha! ;)

For me, I enjoy discussing such issues but frequently worry where that "line" is . . .